tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Classpath Issue
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2002 00:26:33 GMT

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 daishi@cs.berkeley.edu wrote:

> Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 15:12:41 -0800
> From: daishi@cs.berkeley.edu
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Cc: Jean-Luc BEAUDET <beaudet@toolchest.cyber.kodak.com>
> Subject: Re: Classpath Issue
>

> Is there a reason why ${CATALINA_HOME}/classes and
> ${CATALINA_HOME}/lib is used for shared classes but the corresponding
> directories for ${CATALINA_BASE} are not?
>
> We are using ${CATALINA_BASE} to maintain a clean installation of
> tomcat4 (which seems to be the point of ${CATALINA_BASE}), but the
> problem above is biting us.

The original assumption was that, if you wanted to share your Tomcat
installation, that meant you want to share everything except the
dynamic stuff (conf, logs, webapps, and work).

If you really want unique sets of shared JARs as well, you're getting to
the point where you might just as well install Tomcat more than once.

> Am I missing something?
>
> TIA,

Craig