tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Joel Rees" <j...@alpsgiken.gr.jp>
Subject Re: Garbage showing up when trying to download a word doc in TC 4.0.1
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2002 02:38:35 GMT
Kapasi, Mehjabin wrote:

> However, when i click on the download icon I get garbage on the page
instead
> of a browser dialog giving me options to save/open the document.

This is usually a browser settings related problem, not a Tomcat issue..

> This problem i am experiencing when running Tomcat 4.0.1 with IIS and
> standalone.
> Is this a character encoding problem?

You can tweak the encoding in the http header to help this, but there
actually is not a good general solution. Ultimately, some users will have to
use right-click (or ctl-click on Mac) to direct the browser to save the data
instead of displaying it.

> Do i need to encode the Doc URL differently that when I was using TC
3.2.4?

This is a good question, does anyone know if some defaults for headers
changed between versions?

Another thing you might want to check is whether the browser settings (or
the browsers being used) have been changed.

> Where can I find documentation regarding this problem?

Check the http specifications from the ietf.

I just plugged "http encoding header" into the search field at google.com,
and they pointed me to

among others.

Joel Rees