tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Guy McArthur <g...@guymcarthur.com>
Subject welcome-file behavior
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 08:28:38 GMT
My web-app is set with a welcome-file-list, index.xml is the first
welcome-file entry.

Tomcat [4.0b2] does a HTTP 302 (temporary redirect) to the welcome-file
for requests that do not specify a file. This is contrary to the behavior
of almost every web server, ever. E.g. Apache et al will just send the
welcome file. At the least, Tomcat's behavior is annoying because the
client gets rewritten URL, at the most it's bad form since if the
welcome-file changes in the future, links & bookmarks would break.

So, is it possible to change this behavior [without an additional
front-end server or proxy]?

Yes, I realize the 2.3 servlet spec says " will be returned as [rewritten
url]."