tomcat-users mailing list archives

From jeff.guttada...@abbott.com
Subject restarting Tomcat 4
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:01:56 GMT
Hi.

     I was wondering if anyone out there has a good way of restarting Tomcat
4...?  In version 3, I used to just be able to do
"$TOMCAT_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh; $TOMCAT_HOME/bin/startup.sh".  Now, in version
4 though, since the starting and stopping scripts seem to have been modified
to be background processes, this no longer works since it won't wait for the
first script to finish anymore before starting the second one.  Now, my
restart alias looks like this: "$CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh; sleep 40;
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh".  Pretty lame, and I just arrived at the sleep
value by trial and error (actually as I add more stuff in my server.xml file,
I think the shutdown might even take longer, so I may need to bump this value
up).  Does anyone have any more elegant/exact ways of doing this?

Thanks,
-Jeff