tomcat-users mailing list archives

From jeff.guttada...@abbott.com
Subject Re: Internationalization
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:49:27 GMT

Hi, Christopher.

    Here are some things to look into...

- Make sure that your JSP page is set to use a font that can display the
specific Unicode characters.  If it's just a specific subset of the Unicode
character set, then you may be able to find a lightweight font that handles
that specific subset.  If you need support for the whole Unicode character
set, the only font I've found so far that handles this is "Arial Unicode MS",
which is a BIG font (about 24 Megs) and unfortunately, as you may have deduced
from the "MS" in the name, is Microsoft and therefore a Windows-only font.

- You may need to do some conversion of the parameter values coming over in
the request or values that you retrieve from your database.  I've been able to
get the values out of the database (Oracle configured as extended-ASCII
character set) by doing something like this...

byte[] bytes = resultSet.getBytes(1);
String stringToOutput = new String(bytes, "UTF-8");

Hope this helps! Good luck!
-Jeff

                    "Christopher Cheng"

                    <christopher@chengsf        To:     "'Tomcat Users List'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                    amily.net>                  cc:

                                                Subject:     Internationalization

                    02/11/02 07:44 PM

                    Please respond to

                    "Tomcat Users List"

I am struggling with double byte characters in  JSP

On the struts jsp form, I am putting

<%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" %> on the top <META
http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"> in the
head

I got some question marks when I print the characters in the console by
System.out.println(request.getParameter("parameter1")
Or save those character to file

The same thing happens with the data retrieved from MySQL displayed on
JSP.

Anybody helps?