tomcat-users mailing list archives

From rseque...@transentric.com
Subject Re: <TC> Re: Java servlet and mailing
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 00:16:31 GMT

Correct! Thanks. Totally miss the 4.x deal sometimes! :-)

Kirby Vandivort <kvandivo@ks.uiuc.edu> on 02/21/2002 06:00:11 PM

Please respond to "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

To:   Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc:

Subject:  Re: <TC> Re: Java servlet and mailing

Or, just use it.  Tomcat (4.x, at least) ships with mail.jar and
jaf.jar..  Just do the imports and you are set.  (you will probably
need to set up your build.xml so that it knows where they are..  They
are in common/lib)

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 05:53:56PM -0600, rsequeira@transentric.com wrote:

> You could live w/o J2EE is you wish to just use JavaMail.
> Download javamail from the following url:
> http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/index.html
> You will need the java avtication framework as well:
> http://java.sun.com/products/javabeans/glasgow/jaf.html
>
> Thanks.
> RS
>

> "Simon" <maillist-general@sohowit.com> on 02/21/2002 04:31:07 PM
>
> Please respond to "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>
> To:   "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> cc:
>
> Subject:  Java servlet and mailing
>
> Dear,
>
> I come from PHP world, so that i don't really know about this.
>
> If i need to sent out an email in my serlvet program, do i need to
download
> and install javamail?
> (I did a mail() in PHP, which calls /bin/mail indeed, most likely...)
>
> According to this FAQ saying:
> http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/FAQ.html#1
>
> Q: What is the JavaMailTM API?
> A: The JavaMailTM API is a set of abstract APIs that model a mail system.
> The API provides a platform independent and protocol independent
framework
> to build Java technology based email client applications. The JavaMail
API
> provides facilities for reading and sending email. Service providers
> implement particular protocols. Several service providers are included
with
> the JavaMail API package; others are available separately. The JavaMail
API
> is implemented as a Java optional package that can be used on JDK 1.1.6
and
> later. The JavaMail API is also a required part of the JavaTM 2 Platform,
> Enterprise Edition (J2EETM).
>
> Do I have J2SE, i don't have JavaMail right?
> So, the easy way out, is to install J2EE in the first place, rather than
> J2SE?
>
> I don't this sounds stupid, but please help.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Simon.
>

> --
>

> --

Kirby Vandivort                      Theoretical Biophysics Group
Email: kvandivo@ks.uiuc.edu          3051 Beckman Institute
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~kvandivo/    University of Illinois
Phone: (217) 244-5711                405 N. Mathews Ave
Fax  : (217) 244-6078                Urbana, IL  61801, USA