tomcat-users mailing list archives

From jeff.guttada...@abbott.com
Subject Re: Newbie can't run own JSP in Tomcat (404 - File Not Found)
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:27:06 GMT

Hi, Brian.

     This doesn't tell you that it can't find the class referenced in your JSP
page.  If that were the case, you wouldn't have gotten a 404 error - you
would've gotten to a page with a class not found exception.  That tells you
that it can't find the JSP page itself.  In order for Tomcat to know about
your JSP page or a web application, you need to tell it about the new web
context or put it somewhere Tomcat will naturally look for it.  Tomcat will
automatically create contexts for directories in its "webapps" directory, so
one option would be to create a directory in there like "mytest".  If
employees.jsp were in that directory, you'd go to
http://localhost:8080/mytest/employees.jsp to get to it.  The other option is
to edit the conf/server.xml file to define a context somewhere else.  There
should be example(s) in there, so look at those and you should be able to
figure it out.

Hope this helps.
-Jeff

                    "Brian

                    Peasland"            To:     tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org

                    <peasland@usg        cc:

                    s.gov>               Subject:     Newbie can't run own JSP in Tomcat
(404 - File Not Found)

                    02/17/02

                    11:17 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "Tomcat Users

                    List"

Hello,

I'm running the following:

Tomcat 3.3 w/ JDK 1.4.0
Microsoft IIS 5.0

I installed Tomcat as per the directions in "Tomcat IIS HowTo". When I go
to http://localhost:8080, I can get to the installed JSP examples. They all
appear to run fine. So this tells me that Tomcat is up & running just fine.

Now I wish to run one of my own, albeit simple JSP pages that connects to a
database and displays the results. When I try to load my JSP page in my
browser, I get the 404 - File Not Found error message. I know that I've got
the proper path to the JSP page. In my Tomcat window, I see the following
error messages:

Ctx() : Class not found: TOMCAT/JSP/dw/tkbrowse2/employees.jsp
Ctx() : Status code: 404 request:R(   +  /dw/tkbrowse2/employees.jsp +
null) msg:null

This tells me that it can find the class I'm referencing in my JSP page.
The only class in my JSP page is java.sql.*. I've added my jar files to my
CLASSPATH environment variable for this class, but it still can't find it.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian Peasland - Database Administrator