tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ken Sanderson" <...@rockies.ca>
Subject JRE or JDK
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2002 23:44:34 GMT

Hello all. I have installed tomcat on my NT machine, in order to run a
software application that requires it. In the install instructions it talks
about setting the JAVA_HOME variable to the JDK bin folder. However, it
cannot find the necessary files it needs in that location. Instead if I set
the JAVA_HOME variable to my JRE bin folder, it works fine. Is JDK supposed
to be JRE?

Everything is working great with the JRE setup, however I noticed that when
I go to the log on window, tomcat is shut down. After some research I found
that the problem is my JDK, and I need to upgrade it to 1.3.1, which I did.
Now the question is, since my JAVA_HOME is pointing to the JRE, is it really
1.3.1 of JRE I need, not the JDK?

Sorry thats probably confusing, thoughts appreciated.

Ken Sanderson

Miistakis Institute for the Rockies
c/o Faculty of Environmental Design
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, Alberta
T2N 1N4

t 1 (403) 220-8968
  1 (403) 220-2573
w www.rockies.ca

"facilitating ecosystem research & management in the Rocky Mountains"