tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Drew Cox" <drew....@epredix.com>
Subject That old tomcat 4.0.2 - xerces.jar file problem one more time...please
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2002 00:07:33 GMT
I'm sorry guys.  I've searched the archives, really.  I have seen a bunch of
seemingly relevant posts and tried some of their recommendations.  But I
can't get this to work.  Here's the deal.

Our webapp includes xerces.jar in the web.inf/lib directory.  This works
fine on Tomcat 3.1 (our prod version) and 3.3a (our new prod version if I
can't get this sorted).

On 4.0.2 I get the following error in the tomcat logs, apparently when
trying to compile a JSP:

----- Root Cause -----
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/w3c/dom/range/Range
	at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser.setDocumentClassName(DOMParser.java:489)
	at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser.<init>(DOMParser.java:221)
	at
org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.<init>(DocumentBuilderImpl.java:9
8)
	at
org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl.newDocumentBuilder(Documen
tBuilderFactoryImpl.java:87)
	at
org.apache.jasper.parser.ParserUtils.parseXMLDocument(ParserUtils.java:197)
	at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.TldLocationsCache.processWebDotXml(TldLocationsCa
che.java:165)
	at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.TldLocationsCache.<init>(TldLocationsCache.java:1
38)
	at
org.apache.jasper.EmbededServletOptions.<init>(EmbededServletOptions.java:34
5)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.init(JspServlet.java:266)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:91
6)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.allocate(StandardWrapper.java:653)

>From reading the previous posts and tomcat docs, it appears there are some
classloader/version conflicts with the xerces.jar in the
CATALINA_HOME/common/lib directory.  I have tried moving the catalina
xerces.jar around into all of the other libs in tomcat to no avail.

If I remove our webapp's xerces.jar, things work fine.  This is a reasonable
workaround, but what if I really needed different versions of the library
available to different apps?  I'm sure there is a simple way to make this
work, please help the terminally bewildered to get this working.

Thanks
Drew