tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Drew Cox" <drew....@epredix.com>
Subject Problems accessing exception implicit object in error JSPs - Tomcat 4.0.2
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2002 00:49:00 GMT
My apologies if this issue has been done to death, but I've done some
searching on the archives but has not seen a definitive answer.

We are using the "<error-page> <exception-type>" entries in the web.xml to
direct all our web application exceptions to various error JSPs.  This is
working.  These JSPs have the "<%@ page isErrorPage ="true" %>" directive
set.

In Tomcat 3.3a these pages have access to the "exception" implicit object.
For the same webapp deployed in Tomcat 4.0.2 this variable is declared, but
null.  Is this a bug?

In the interim we are getting access to the exception from the
"javax.servlet.error.exception" request attribute.  I also notice in the JSP
1.2 API that a "javax.servlet.jsp.jspException" request attribute may also
be available.  Which should I be using?  Our apps are a collection of JSPs
and servlets, roughly conforming to the model-2 architecture (if its still
called that).

Cheers
Drew Cox