tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Loïc Lefèvre <llefe...@fivia.com>
Subject RE: Apache/Tomcat memory leak not recovered after shutdown
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2002 16:06:17 GMT
Hi,
We have experienced same problems, all we found to do is to kill
"with our hands" the java process (that can rest after the servlet
engine shutdown). Here is the bash script we use:

#!/bin/bash
kill -9 `ps -A | grep java | cut -c 1-5`
kill -9 'ps -A | grep jre | cut -c 1-5'

Hope that helps,
Loïc Lefèvre

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Hwang, Joseph [mailto:Joseph.Hwang@ser.com]
Envoyé : lundi 4 février 2002 16:41
À : 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Objet : Apache/Tomcat memory leak not recovered after shutdown

We are loosing about about 500 MB of memory on a 1 GB server after running
Apache/Tomcat on Linux for 24 hours.  (We are trying to fit within 512 MB.)
The strange thing is that after I shutdown Apache and Tomcat, the memory
only recovers about 100 MB.  vmstat still shows "Memory Cache" that takes up
about 348380 KB.

I would think that if the memory is in apache/tomcat, then the memory should
be recovered when I shut them down.  Is that right?  How could I get the
memory back from the "Memory Cache" without rebooting?

It's a web application with servlets, JSPs and static pages with Apache
1.3.22, Tomcat 3.2.4, RedHat Linux 7.1.  I tried Sun JDK 1.3.1 and IBM JDK
1.3.0 with same results.

Thank you for any help.

Joseph