tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ion Larranaga <ila...@s21sec.com>
Subject RE: Multiple Tomcat-servers on a single machine
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:24:25 GMT

I think that you have two possibilities to do what you want:

- You could set up one instance of Tomcat with X different contexts,
  so that each user has his own. Servlets from different users would
  have different physical directories, so each user would have a different
  working directory. This way, users would access their specific servlets
  with URLs:

        http://server/user1/servlet/yourServlet
        http://server/user2/servlet/yourServlet

- But if you want the course to be more complete, including configuration
  of Tomcat, of course you should set up different Tomcat instances for
  one. These instances should listen on a different port, so they will need
  different configuration files (server.xml), updating the port each
  HttpConnector listens to. This way, the URLs to access the servlets would
be:

        http://server:8081/user1/servlet/yourServlet
        http://server:8082/user2/servlet/yourServlet

Just as long as different instances do not try to listen to the same port
there should be no problem. If you will connect to Tomcat through Apache, it
is
basically the same, but changing the port of ajp or warp connectors
(depending on
the Apache module you use)

Hope it helps,

   Ion