tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Keith Ng" <woonb...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: J2EE and Tomcat
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2002 06:08:50 GMT
Hi Craig

I saw yr very reasonable explaination and have understood a lot more den i
used to. Thanks... =)

However, I have tried to deploy my Tomcat application using J2EE server like
the one provided by SUN. I tried two methods. One by moving the entire
folder to public_html and also by trying to deploy. Both methods doesnt
works when it comes to locating certain javabean classes i placed under
web-inf-->classes-->FOLDER.(not EJB) ... wat seems to work just fine doesnt
seem to work at all in J2EE. I do not think therefore I can develop using
tomcat and deploy using a J2EE server.

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 1:03 AM
To: Tomcat Users List; woonbock@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: J2EE and Tomcat

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Keith Ng wrote:

> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 20:38:18 +0800
> From: Keith Ng <woonbock@yahoo.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: J2EE and Tomcat
>
> Hi Guys
>
> I just joined in, Happy Chinese New Year, esp to the all the Chinese here.
>
> I have the following query, its not exactly a TOMCAT question but I
figured
> people here can help. I have installed J2EE and have previously used
TOMCAT.
> Therefore I have the following queries....
>
> 1)There are many versions of TOMCAT, but Im only using a pretty old
version,
> like 3.2.2. I want to try run my web application on a J2EE server. Are
both
> J2EE and TOMCAT using the same specifications for JSP and SERVLETS?
> Currently using J2EE 1.3 ...

Tomcat 3.2 (and 3.3) are based on the Sevlet 2.2 and JSP 1.1
specifications (these match up with J2EE 1.2).

Tomcat 4.0 is based on the Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 specifications, which
are the versions included in J2EE 1.3.  In general these specs are
backwards compatible so that your older webapps will still run.

> 2)Am I supposed to continue using TOMCAT to develop web applications for
> deployment in J2EE? I certainly do not know how to do the same with J2EE
> what I have learnt with TOMCAT

If your applications don't require EJBs, it is very reasonable to do your
development under Tomcat and then deploy on a J2EE server.  Just be sure
you don't rely on Tomcat-specific features in your applications.

> Hope someone can enlighten me. Thanks ;)

Craig