tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Christian Cryder" <christi...@granitepeaks.com>
Subject JNDI Q's
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 16:29:49 GMT
Ok, I've searched through most of the docs now and I have some very basic
JDNI specific questions:

1. Are there any parts of JNDI which are _not_ included with Tomcat 4.0.1?
(ie. is there anything that still needs to be downloaded/installed
separately?)

2. What exactly is the relationship between what gets defined in server.xml
and a specific webapp's web.xml? In other words, I see how you define a JNDI
resource in server.xml using <Resource> and <ResourceParams> -- as I
understand it this makes a resource available to a particual context (ie.
webapp). What then, is the purpose of also defining the resource using
<resource-ref> in that app's web.xml file?

3. Is there any way to define a JNDI resource just through the web.xml file
(as opposed to using server.xml file?) When you change web.xml, you can only
need to cycle the webapp; when you change server.xml you have to cycle the
entire server, which I'd like to avoid.

4. Is there anyway to use the Tomcat manager app to cycle the whole server?
What's the best way to do this? (especially if Tomcat is running as an NT
service!)

Thanks,
Christian
Christian Cryder [christianc@atmreports.com]