tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jan S√łgaard <...@gopinocchio.com>
Subject RE: A simple query
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:10:54 GMT
Hi.

If you mean, whether you are able to place the Servlet, (I don't know
about jsp, but I guess it is the same)
code outside the webapps directory, the answer is YES.

In your server.xml file, you are able to specify the docbase of your
code:
E.g.

<Context path="/yourURL" docBase="c:/Code/myapp" debug="0"
reloadable="true" />

In this way you can place the directories, located under the webapps, in
other places.

BR Jan

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Rees [mailto:joel@alpsgiken.gr.jp]
Sent: 22. februar 2002 10:00
To: Tomcat Users List
Cc: VMukherjee@indorama.co.in
Subject: Re: A simple query

----- Original Message -----
Vishal Mukherjee queried:

> Is it mecessary to keep the physical folder under the webapps
directory.

If you mean to ask whether you must keep the folder containing the jsp
and
java source files inside the webapps directory, I think the answer is
yes.

But don't give up.

You can make your own webapps directories, which do not need to be kept
in
the tomcat directory. The way you do this depends on your version of
tomcat:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.2-doc/appdev/index.html
(and follow the "Deployment Organization" link)

V. 3.2 uses <Context/> entries in the conf/server.xml file, which I only
figured out recently.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.3-doc/appdev/deployment.html

V. 3.3 allows using the <Context/> entry in apps-appPath.xml files in
/conf.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/appdev/deployment.html

I haven't messed with v. 4, so I don't know yet.

Hope that helps.

Joel Rees
Alps Giken Kansai Systems Develoment
Suita, Osaka