tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sampige, Srinivas" <srinivas.samp...@boeing.com>
Subject RE: classes visibility in the WEB-INF dir ----> SOLVED
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:52:10 GMT
Hi Craig
 Craig,my apologies for not being clear . First of all, yes I agree, as you
say - " 99.9% of them being user error or misunderstanding". "The issue"
that I was talking about was migrating to 4.0 from 3.2 as was mentioned in
my email. I spent some time trouble shooting,digging around in the
documentation and discovered that I had to change my "web.xml".

>answers quickly is to provide as much information as possible about the
>problems you are facing (as *many* people do on TOMCAT-USER):
OS : Windows 2000
App Server : Tomcat4.0
Problem Desc : Servlets that run on 3.2.1 do not run on 4.0. I have added
the context to my webapp in 4.0 in exactly the same manner that I have done
in 3.2.1.

Erorr that I get :
HTTP Status 404 - /xmlToPdf/servlet/ConvertXmlServlet
The requested resource (/xmlToPdf/servlet/ConvertXmlServlet) is not
available.

>can tell you if it's been addressed in the documentation.  I'm afraid that
>I cannot read your mind :-).
  Well what was in my mind was ...I was really frustrated that I had to
worry about configuration issues and going back all over again doing trouble
shooting.Should I concentrate on my application design/logic OR should
concentrate on numerous config issues which I had done before and had to do
again when I moved to 4.0 and probably will have to do when I move to higher
versions?? . What I was looking for was some kind of a  guide "migrating to
4.0" which would highlight the kind of problem I faced(is there such a guide
I don't know of?). Also, I personally don't fancy the idea of people
accessing config files directly. Some kind of interface(need not be be fancy
stuff but a simple tool) should be provided. Eventhough everyone of us
understands what a config file looks like and contains it is very easy to
make a mistake but difficult to trouble shoot when involved in a big project
and concentrating on the application logic and other details.(of course
Tomat developers would be able to track down and fix it faster :-) but what
about the rest of us ?).

>If "this issue" means that you didn't know you have to match your
>directory structure under /WEB-INF/classes to the package hierarchy of
>your classes, that is fundamental Java programming -- amply covered in the
>many books and tutorials about the language itself.  A good place to start
>is <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/>.
>"bug reports" are really misunderstandings of how servlets work,
> or about what certain configuration settings mean).

Thanks for pointing me to the website. But, I have ample experience in
Java,servlets & a host od app servers (and of course packages othwerwise my
complex web app that I am working on wouldn't have worked in the first place
:-)). I guess I need more experience on posting a good email on the "mailing
list". I hope this and my previous email is/was taken in good spirit. I
wasn't looking at finding fault(which is the easiest thing to do :-)). It
was more like a frustrated ...hands in the air..help me ...kind of
...question.

thanks
Srinivas