tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ralph Einfeldt" <ralph.einfe...@uptime-isc.de>
Subject AW: Limiting Memory usage with Tomcat 3.2.2
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2002 07:20:28 GMT
The default for the ibm and sun jdk is that the memory is limited
to some extend.

The limitation can be set through the option -Xms -Xmx for the jvm.

This just limits the heap size. What you can't restrict is the memory
for the code and data segments. (To be honest I don't have a clear
idea how memory is managed in a VM. E.G. if a class is loaded at
runtime, will the code and static data be allocated on the heap of
the VM? If not, the memory usage can be quite unlimited if you have
enough classes or static data in the classes)

The sun vm has an additional option to set the thread stacksize: -ss