tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Reynir Hübner <rey...@hugsmidjan.is>
Subject J2EE and Tomcat
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:27:38 GMT
hey guys..

On that matter (J2EE & Tomcat), I've noticed one "small" difference
between Tomcat and the jsp spec.
Tomcat renders jsp-code that's between <!-- -->, the HTML comment tag.
this means that Javascript especially can be commented out of the HTML
for old browsers while some of the javascript code is generated by
jsp-code.

In other J2EE servers I've looked at like orion and websphere they do
not render jsp-code with in HTML comment tags.

why is this different in tomcat from others and the spec ? Or am I not
understanding this correctly ?

Well this is not a big problem (not for me at least), but I assume many
people are using tomcat as a developement tool, and if they are
developing something accordingly to how Tomcat handles it, they might
face a problem when migrating to other J2EE servers... but then again,
they haven't been developing according to the spec...

... so, why break the spec ?

thanx
-reynir@hugsmidjan.is