tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Larry Isaacs <Larry.Isa...@sas.com>
Subject RE: Dynamic Loading Of Changed Classes
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 13:41:21 GMT
If reloadable="true" doesn't work, there isn't any more
you can do.  I don't believe the "reload" implemented by
Tomcat 3.2.x is very reliable, though I haven't played
enough with that feature in Tomcat 3.2.x to give you much
detail.  Both Tomcat 3.3 and I believe Tomcat 4.x restart
the web application when changes are detected which is much
more successful.  You might consider upgrading.

Note: In Tomcat 3.3(a), the URLClassLoader used for the
webapp classloader has problems with jar reloading (see
Bugs 3644 and 5684).  The current Tomcat 3.3.1-dev has a
workaround to deal with this.  Adding use11Loader="true"
to the LoaderInterceptor11 entry will cause the webapp
classloader to be the internal SimpleClassLoader normally
used when running in JDK 1.1.8 environments.  The
SimpleClassLoader doesn't suffer from the problems found
in URLClassLoader and is able to reload jars successfully.

Cheers,
Larry