tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Gregory Guthrie <>
Subject improper JSP, or Tomcat bug?
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2002 20:56:00 GMT
I am trying to use a simple JSP page that tests for an existing Bean, and
uses the pre-existence of it as a logic branch by putting some code in the
initialization part of the jsp:usebean, and then a <%return;%> statement.

I find that both Tomcat and Websphere put some code after my last code in
the init branch, and thus it becomes invalid Java.

   <!-- Access bean, else create -->
   <jsp:useBean id="msg" class="String" scope="session">
      <% return; %>

Is this valid JSP? If not, where is the spec. section that would pertain to

It seems logical...! :-)

Error: 500
Location: /test/aTest_1.jsp
Internal Servlet Error:
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for

Statement not reached.

Gregory Guthrie

MUM Faculty Mail - FM 1068
Farfield, IA 52557