tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Paul D. Bain" <paul_b...@bigfoot.com>
Subject Re: TC4 and cgi
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:29:32 GMT
At Friday 2/22/02 11:58 AM, you wrote:
>Folks:
>
>I'm running Tomcat 4.0.2 on Solaris.  I'm trying to
>configure Tomcat to support perl cgis, but I'm getting
>404.

         I am not an expert on Tomcat 4, but am 90% sure that it cannot
begin execution of any executable program/script other than a servlet/JSP.
My understanding (which may be flawed) of this issue is that, if you want
to run both Perl and servlets, you must put an Apache web server in front
of Tomcat and have it process requests according to whether they invoke
Perl files (e.g., the request is for a file whose suffix is ".pl") or a
servlet (which typically has a different suffix, to wit, ".jsp" or
".java"). Apache would process requests for the former via CGI and send
requests for the latter to Tomcat.