tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Cressatti, Dominique" <Dominique.Cressa...@lansa.co.uk>
Subject RE: classes NOT in WEB-INF/classes or CATALINE_HOME/classes
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 15:22:24 GMT
I can't answer directly to your question
but here are some avenues that you might to
explore.

Here is some of the stuff I've learned so far.

You can modify the class path and append the directory
where your "common" classes live.

In the context section (either your apps-YourApp.xml
4 tomcat3 or server.xml 4 tomcat4)

"path=" only refer to the URL under which your app will
published will "docbase=" refer to where your app physically
lives (which I think doesn't have to be under /webapps).

And lastely may be there something that can be done in
web.xml

Dom

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Ford [mailto:dford@smart-soft.com]
Sent: 01 February 2002 14:15
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: classes NOT in WEB-INF/classes or CATALINE_HOME/classes

>From my understanding of Tomcat, unjar'd classes should be placed in
WEB-INF/classes for ONE web app, and  CATALINA_HOME/classes for shared
access by ALL webapps (correct me if I'm wrong).

Here is what I would like to do: make an un-jar'd class library available to
ONE or ALL web apps. And NOT place them in pre-designated directories.
Reason: I have a development box that runs Tomcat, Orion Server and Web
Logic. It also runs non-webapps. I have a common set of classes used by all.
Don't want to maintain multiple copies of the common class library.

I understand that a webapp is supposed to be a self contained deployment
unit, but it seems that classes should, optionally, be allowed in user
defined paths. In Orion Server, this can be accomplished by adding a
classpath entry to orion-web.xml (one web app) or server.xml (all web-apps).
How can this be done in Tomcat?

Dave Ford
Smart Soft - The Developer Training Company
http://www.smart-soft.comave