tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Lauer, Oliver" <Oliver.La...@AXA.de>
Subject AW: Is it possible to bind to EJB-s in a J2EE-complient way with Tomcat 4?
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:28:10 GMT
You can use J2SDKEE1.3 or 1.3.1 as remote EJB-Container with TC. Up to now I
didn't manage to use the TC context, so I use my own.
Oliver

> AXA eSolutions GmbH
> AXA Konzern AG Germany
> Oliver Lauer
> Web Architect
> Wörthstraße 34
> D-50668 Köln
> Germany
> Tel.: +49 221 148 31277
> Fax: +49 221 148 43963
> Mobil: +49 179 59 064 59
> e-Mail: Oliver.Lauer@axa.de
> _____________________________

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Anton Tagunov [mailto:tae@newmail.ru]
Gesendet: Freitag, 8. Februar 2002 06:16
An: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Betreff: Is it possible to bind to EJB-s in a J2EE-complient way with
Tomcat 4?

Hello, tomcat community!

I have a question regarding ejb-s and the J2EE-isms.

I know that the J2EE datasources are now available
with Tomcat. I may just configure conf/server.xml,
describe the datasource and go ahead. Very good.

1)

What about EJB-s? I understand that J2EE 1.3
mandates that the InitialContext be created with
as zero-argument constructor and that this
context should contain the EJB-s that have been
requested via <ejb-ref> and <ejb-local-ref>
elements in web.xml (along with other JNDI stuff
from web.xml)

1.1) Is this ejb functionality availalbe?
1.2) How to configure that?
1.3) What ejb containers may be used with Tomcat in
     a J2EE compliant way?
1.3.1) What ejb containers may run in the same jvm
       with Tomcat?
1.3.2) What ejb containers may run in a separate jvm?

2)
I understand that if we create InitialContexts
with special constructor and a special Map of parameters -
this has little to do with J2EE for web containers.

I guess that in this situation
- every creation of InitialContext requires establishing at
  least one new network connection
- hence may be as slow as creating a new database connection
- the InitialContext obtained has nothing to do with the
  <ejb-ref>, <ejb-local-ref> in web-xml
   and other environment stuff from web.xml.
Are all these statements correct?

3)

I failed to find anything in the docs.
The <Ejb> element in the servler.xml
has remained a mistery for me.
Is it just a way to create a <ejb-ref>
entry that is virtually added to all web.xml
files?

3.1) If yes, where's the <ejb-local-ref> analog?

4) Would also be interesting to hear
   comments on the Tomcat 3.x family too

5) How are EJBs binded to JNDI namely for
   5.1) JBoss+Tomcat 3.2?
   5.2) JBOss+Tomcat 4?
   I know that this is best read in docs,
   but in general, just some configuration
   file per web app? Additional deployment
   descriptor put to WEB-INF?
   (Plus some JBoss-private setup)

   Do these JBoss+Tomcat combinations always
   run in the same jvm (this is actually a
   duplicate

6) Can JBoss/Tomcat run in differenct jvms?
   (Any versions of both?)

--
 - Anton

 mailto:tagunov@newmail.ru
 tagunov@motor.ru

Aus Rechts- und Sicherheitsgruenden ist die in dieser E-Mail gegebene Information nicht rechtsverbindlich.
Eine rechtsverbindliche Bestaetigung reichen wir Ihnen gerne auf Anforderung in schriftlicher
Form nach. Beachten Sie bitte, dass jede Form der unautorisierten Nutzung, Veroeffentlichung,
Vervielfaeltigung oder Weitergabe des Inhalts dieser E-Mail nicht gestattet ist.Diese Nachricht
 ist ausschliesslich fuer den bezeichneten Adressaten oder dessen Vertreter bestimmt. Sollten
Sie nicht der vorgesehene Adressat dieser E-Mail oder dessen Vertreter sein, so bitten wir
Sie, sich mit dem Absender der E-Mail in Verbindung zu setzen.
For legal and security reasons the information provided in this e-mail is not legally binding.
Upon request we would be pleased to provide you with a legally binding confirmation in written
form. Any form of unauthorised use, publication, reproduction, copying or disclosure of the
content of this e-mail is not permitted. This message is exclusively for the person addressed
or their representative. If you are not the intended recipient of this message and its contents,
please notify the sender immediately.