tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Coetmeur, Alain" <alain.coetm...@caissedesdepots.fr>
Subject RE: RE: cocoon2.0.1 under tomcat4.0.2LE jdk1.4
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:01:14 GMT

do you mean virtual host ?
for virtual host you must declare each virtual host
in the server.xml in a <Host> directive (look in tomcat4
config HowTo doc)
eg:
<server ...
  <service ...
     <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true">
       <Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0"/>
     </Host>
     <Host name="www.just.do.it" debug="1" appBase="nike_webapps"
unpackWARs="true">
       <Alias name="www.dont.even.think.about.it">
      <Context path="" docBase="nike_ROOT" debug="1"/>
     </Host>
    ... and so on

if you talk of the concept of virtual directry like in IIS/PWS
this is called a "Context"

you create a context by 2 ways:

create a Context entry in a Host entry refering to
a directory and declaring the context path
this one declare the root (home of the site) context
mapped onto the ROOT subdir
       <Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0"/>
note that this path is relative to the appBase :
which is declared in the Host tag around the contect tag, like in
     <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true">

if you put directory or *.war archive in this appBase directory,
a context is automatically created with a path name
identical to the directory name. the .war may be expanded
to the directory if not already and if and allowed by unpackWARs="true"

this is the same for non default virtual hosts like in
 <Host name="www.just.do.it" debug="1" appBase="nike_webapps"
unpackWARs="true">
       <Alias name="www.dont.even.think.about.it">
      <Context path="" docBase="nike_ROOT" debug="1"/>

which mean that :
any request from an URL
http://www.just.do.it or http://www.dont.even.think.about.it
is redirected to this virtual host object,
whode webapp dir is nike_webapps
the root is nike_webapps/nike_ROOT and may be expanded
from nike_webapps/nike_ROOT.war if not already done.

any file nike_webapps/XXX.war will be associated to a
context path XXX
and may be reach through eg:
http://www.dont.even.think.about.it/XXX/and/so/on.jsp

hope this helps...

by the way, the error you get on cocoon
(ask to the cocoon user mailing list)
is clearly a problem with the XML parser...

have you put all the xerces and xalan in the
WEB-INF/lib subdirectory of your webapp ?
and so on with all the jar...

there is an option in cocoon to atomagically copy
the jar in WEB-INF/lib (more than 20 jars)