tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jean-Luc BEAUDET <beau...@toolchest.cyber.kodak.com>
Subject Re: Classpath Issue
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:49:56 GMT
rsequeira@transentric.com a écrit :

> You are correct about that. Missed those directories
> (<tomcat_install_dir>/classes & <tomcat_install_dir>/lib). Webapplication
> related files in these directories makes more sense than under the
> common/classes and common/lib since class files & jars under the common
> directory are used internally too. My bad! :-) Thanks for correcting me.
> RS
>
> Jean-Luc BEAUDET <beaudet@toolchest.cyber.kodak.com>
> @toolchest.cyber.kodak.com on 02/25/2002 11:15:15 AM
>
> Please respond to "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>
> Sent by:  root@toolchest.cyber.kodak.com
>
> To:   Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> cc:
>
> Subject:  Re: Classpath Issue
>
> rsequeira@transentric.com a écrit :
>
> > Tomcat takes care of this for you so that you don't have to mess around
> > with classpath issues. Put your  unpacked classes in the WEB-INF/classes
> > directory of you webapplication. jar files go under the WEB-INF/lib. And
> > you are good to go.
> > If you wish to make your classes visible to all applications then place
> > your unpacked classes under then
> <tomcat_installation_dir>/common/classes.
>
> Not really recommended since common will have this lib/classes viewed by
> both
> CATALINA and all web applications. Could be confused in some way...
>
> Prefer the method of shared:
> $CATALINA_HOME/classes and $CATALINA_HOME/lib assuming CATALINA_HOME is the
> dir where yur Tomcat's dist was installed.
>
> Hope this will clear the situation...
>
> Jean-Luc :O)
>

> > And the packed jar files under <tomcat_installation_dir>/common/lib
> > And if you still wish to add classes to the classpath then check out
> > catalina.bat (or tomcat.bat). But be warned this may give rise to
> problems
> > with classloading in the future :-)
> >
> > RS
> >
> > "Rui Oliveira" <oliveira@milu.ipn.pt> on 02/25/2002 10:51:46 AM
> >
> > Please respond to "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> >
> > To:   "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > cc:
> >
> > Subject:  Classpath Issue
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > sorry for the newbie question...
> >
> > Can someone please tell me how to configure the classpath for a specific
> > application only, instead of defining it for all the tomcat applications?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Rui Oliveira
> >
> > --

That 's no pb, boy !

It's just to say. When i startted to discover Tomcat, i had so many things i
couldn't undestand ( and so many still goin' on now... :O), that i was very
happy i could have many ideas about one pb.

The main thing i can say now, it's that the documentation really does have to
be read!

It's really amazing; so much things in it but so incomprehensible the first
time...

Luckily the user-list are present to do so !

Thanks for contributin'

Jean-Luc B :O)