tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jared Nedzel <ned...@mpi.com>
Subject Re: TC4 and cgi
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:17:13 GMT
Paul:

That doesn't appear to me to be the case, given that TC 4
has a bunch of stuff in web.xml concerning CGIs.  For example
there are entries in web.xml like:

<!-- IMPORTANT: To use the CGI servlet, you also need to rename the
<!--            $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib/servlets-ssi.renametojar file
<!--            to $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib/servlets-ssi.jar

and:

<!-- Common Gateway Includes (CGI) processing servlet, which supports
<!-- execution of external applications that conform to the CGI spec
<!-- requirements.  Typically, this servlet is mapped to the URL pattern
<!-- "/cgi-bin/*", which means that any CGI applications that are
<!-- executed must be present within the web application.  This servlet
<!-- supports the following initialization parameters (default values
<!-- are in square brackets):
<!--
<!--   cgiPathPrefix       The CGI search path will start at
<!--                       webAppRootDir + File.separator + this prefix.
<!--                       [WEB-INF/cgi]
<!--
<!--   clientInputTimeout  The time (in milliseconds) to wait for input
<!--                       from the browser before assuming that there
<!--                       is none.  [100]
<!--
<!--   debug               Debugging detail level for messages logged
<!--                       by this servlet.  [0]
<!-- IMPORTANT: To use the CGI servlet, you also need to rename the
<!--            $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib/servlets-cgi.renametojar file
<!--            to $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib/servlets-cgi.jar

But if that is the case, then can someone point me to
doc about how I can integrate TC 4 with Apache?  The
previous versions of TC document this pretty well:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.3-doc/tomcat-apache-howto.html

Where's the equivalent for TC 4?  I've seen doc for TC 4
that discusses proxy servers, but I don't know enough to know
whether that's the same thing, or something different.

Someone help out a flailing newbie here...

Jared