tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Stein <zo...@gmd-net.de>
Subject Any success with Tomcat 4.0.2 and client certificates in MS IE ?
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:22:43 GMT
Did anybody ever succeed in using client certs using MS IE ?

I tried with an openssl generated client cert,
also tried with a Thawte Freemail client cert,
all without success.

MS Internet Explorer always comes up with an empty
dialog box asking to select a client certificate.

The client certs work fine in Netscape Communicator.

I searched the archives and the WWW. A lot of people
encountered the same problem. Some guy talked about
differences in the ssl-handshake (search within
  http://groups.google.com/
for
  SSL Client Authentication to Tomcat Web Server
)

His solution was a DN without eMail address generated
with a "Microsoft cert authority". I dont't have such
programm and cant generate such a request with openssl.

Any hints ? My boss will fire me if i spend some more
weeks on that problem :-).  I am tired of it, anyway.

Again: Did anybody ever succeed with MS IE + client certs + Tomcat?

Thanks in advance
Wolfgang Stein