tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Woon <morph...@SMI.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Using Tomcat Without a Webserver
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 01:11:22 GMT
Hi all.

I know it's standard practice to hook Tomcat up to a webserver, but is
this really necessary?  According to the docs, the main reason for this
is that Tomcat's performance when serving static files is sub-par,
although it usually goes on to note that this has improved recently.  I
can't seem to find anything on Tomcat 4.0x though, and I'm wondering if
this advice is outdated?  I thinking of using Tomcat only on a
production system with light to moderate traffic.  Almost all pages are
JSP's, so the only static content would be images.

So:  What's the word on running Tomcat 4.02 without a webserver?  What
does using Apache+Tomcat buy me?

Thanks,
-Mark