tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pascal Forget <tomcat...@ubeans.com>
Subject Re: TOMCAT 4.0 on port 80
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2002 11:42:20 GMT
Kevin Passey wrote:

>Hi  all,
>
>We have temporarily given up on trying to get Tomcat working with apache as
>we seemed to be getting nowhere. What we wanted to do was to only serve
>JSP's anyway, but thought it would be a good idea to run it through apache -
>commercially we don't have the time to persue this and our static pages are
>served by our ISP anyway.
>
>The next problem I need to overcome is to get Tomcat running on port 80 - we
>have changed the server.xml file so that both instances of 8080 were changed
>to 80. This works on windows but not on SuSE Linux 7.3 - please can you give
>me any pointers.

If you can't get tomcat to bind to port 80 on a Linux box - or on any
box for
that matter - you should check that there is no other web server running on
the machine.

For example, Red Hat installs an apache web server by default.  I don't know
about SuSe, but this could be your problem.  In order to ensure that
there is
no httpd server running on your Linux box, do the following:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop
rm -f /etc/rc.d/rc?.d/S??httpd

And then try to launch tomcat again.

I hope this helps,