tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ian Duggan <...@ianduggan.net>
Subject Re: How to force Tomcat to compile?
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 03:06:40 GMT

> my JSPs use some Java-Classes. This Java-Classes are positioned in
> WEB-INF/classes.
> Normally Tomcat compiles this classes by his own.
> But if I do some changes in *.java, Tomcat doesn't check, that *.java has
> changed and doesn't recompile.
> That's the problem.
>
> To found a solution, I have compiled the changed *.java with javac. The
> compilation runs without problems.
>
> Then, when I run my application I get a ClassDefNotFoundError. Tomcat don't
> want my self-compiled *.class

I'm confused. I don't think I've ever heard of Tomcat autocompiling
.java files for you under the /classes directory. Surely this can't be
the case? I'm pretty sure that those have to be compiled manually, and
that Tomcat notices the updated .class file from your hand compilation
if you have set "reloadable=true" in the servlet context.

For .jsp pages, natuarally Tomcat has to compile those automatically.

Someone please enlighten me if I'm incorrect.

-- Ian