tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Liam Holohan <l...@mail.smartframeworks.com>
Subject Re: apache or tomcat
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 16:33:48 GMT
Reynir Hübner wrote:

> I think the main disatvantage is,  it´s very slow compared to apache /
> IIS in serving Static content (html, images, ...).
> I dont know about security, the above was reason enough for us to use
> apache / IIS, in production env.
>
> hope it helps
> -reynir

I agree,  for serving static pages nothing beats apache
Use tomcat for the dynamic stuff (hook the 2 together with mod_jserv,
mod_jk or mod_webapp)

Security : -if you are using apache (with ssl then your jsp stuff will
also be encrypted over the wire no need to enable tomcat ssl stuff (that
is for when tomcat is a stand alone server)

hope it helps
Liam