tomcat-users mailing list archives

From kal...@einsof.com
Subject Tomcat 4.0.1 rpm install - test fails??
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 14:47:55 GMT
I used the rpm install for Tomcat 4.0.1 onto RHLinux 7.1, and I can start/stop
Tomcat using /etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat start|stop|restart.  I don't receive
any errors doing this.

However, when I go to test the tomcat installation using my browser:
http://localhost:8080

I don't get the site, I get redirected to Netscape's page (where it redirects
if it can't find a page).  I can get to http://localhost just fine, so Tomcat
isn't picking up port 8080.

I have tried to find tomcat error logs, but haven't found them (where do
they get logged?)

What step have I left out on the install (I just installed the rpm: rpm -Uvh
...)?

I have looked at the tomcat4.conf file located in /etc/tomcat4/conf dir --
here's what that looks like:

# tomcat /etc/rc.d script example configuration file
# Use with version 1.07 of the scripts or later

# Where your java installation lives
#JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.3.1
JAVA_HOME="/opt/IBMJava2-13"

# You can pass some parameters to java
# here if you wish to
#JAVACMD="$JAVA_HOME/bin/java -Xminf0.1 -Xmaxf0.3"

# Where your tomcat installation lives
# That change from previous RPM where TOMCAT_HOME
# used to be /var/tomcat.
# Now /var/tomcat will be the base for webapps only
CATALINA_HOME="/var/tomcat4"
JASPER_HOME="/var/tomcat4"

# What user should run tomcat
TOMCAT_USER="tomcat4"

# You can change your tomcat locale here
#LANG=en_US

# If you wish to further customize your tomcat environment,
# put your own definitions here
# (i.e. LD_LIBRARY_PATH for some jdbc drivers)
# Just do not forget to export them :)

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Kim