tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pascal Forget <tomcat...@ubeans.com>
Subject Re: How to make Tomcat 4.01 + Apache http server 1.3.19 work?
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2002 15:49:02 GMT
Dong Wenyu wrote:

>1, Does Tomact 4.01 alone support servlet already?
>Does it necessary to install JServ in addition as the
>case with Tomcat 3.x?

You must install the mod_jk.so module in the Apache web server if you
use tomcat and apache.

>2, Many books recommend the configuration of Tomcat +
>pache http server. Does it make any sense? Couldn't
>Tomcat 4.01 alone serve as a http server?

Tomcat is much slower than Apache at delivering static content.  If your
site
has a lot of that, for example if you are developing a real estate web site
with lots of pictures, then you should use Apache to deliver the images.

Tomcat 4.01 can be used as a standalone web server, and in many cases
it is faster than an apache-tomcat configuration.  The only way of knowing
for sure is to try both configurations and to see which one is faster.

>3, Anyone would give me instructions to connect Tomcat
>4.01 + Apache http server 1.3.19 ?  Or is there
>webpages to find them?

www.ubeans.com/tomcat

Regards,

Pascal Forget