tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Brian Adams <bad...@AEM-TX.com>
Subject RE: database connect to db overr mod_webapp - possible bug
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:24:42 GMT
can we see the errors?

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Faulkner [mailto:christopher.faulkner@ntlworld.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 7:26 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: database connect to db overr mod_webapp - possible bug

Hi

I have a JSP which,when called direct into Tomcat (4.0.1) on Linux works
fine. It connects to a database, retrieves results, fine.

http://host_a:8080/ism/JSP/file.jsp?param1=value&param2=value

"host_a" is a vrtual host defined in my apache config and in the DNS servers
on our LAN.

In the virtual host setting of Apache, I have

WebAppConnection coni warp localhost:8008
WebAppDeploy ism   coni    /ism/

Static pages,servlets and JSP are fine across mod_webapp. However, when I
try my database JSP, I get errors. This code is in the JSP when I go through
8080 and it WORKS, it connects to the DB and all goes
OK. So my configuration of the jdbc/IsmDB must be OK. I created the JDBC
datasources as outlined at the Tomcat website.

Context initCtx = new InitialContext();
javax.sql.DataSource ds = (javax.sql.DataSource)envCtx.lookup("jdbc/IsmDB");
Connection conn = ds.getConnection();

However, when I connect to the page via Apache, the third line fails the
connection to the database fails. I replace those 4 lines with the following
and it works.

String sConn   = "jdbc:oracle:thin:@ip:port:sid"; // connnection string
DriverManager.registerDriver( new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver() );
Connection conn=DriverManager.getConnection( sConn, "user", "password" );
Statement stmt    = conn.createStatement();

So have I missed some configuration to make the database connection work
over mod_webapp or is this a bug ?

Thanks

Chris