tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Matt Small <msm...@Clickability.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 4.0.2 - Startup fails after moving xerces.xml from /co mmon/lib to /server/lib
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 01:46:25 GMT
Thanks for the clarification. As long as xerces 1.4 in /common/lib can
coexist with Xerces 2 in a webapp that seems ok.

Next time I'll try to be a little more verbose in my bug reports.

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Remy Maucherat [mailto:remm@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 5:36 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat 4.0.2 - Startup fails after moving xerces.xml from
/common/lib to /server/lib


> I am using xerces 2.0.0 in one of my webapps so I need to move xerces.jar
> out of /common/lib and into /server/lib. This works just fine with
4.0.2-b2.
> With 4.0.2 If I keep xerces.jar in /common/lib and use xerces.jar 1.4.3 in
> my web app everything starts up just fine. But if I move xerces.jar into
> /server/lib I get the exception below. I suspect that this is due to the
> ClassLoader bug fixes done between 4.0.2-b2 and 4.0.2. Is there any
> workaround for this?

Ok, I understand the problem now.

The thing is that Tomcat will now refuse to load the JAXP base classes from
the webapp repositories. There are lots of problems with JAXP overall, so I
prefered to avoid the classcasts problems, which didn't have any clean
workaround. Here, it's very easy to fix (don't worry, having Xerces or
jaxp.jar in server/lib won't create any more classloading problems :)).

Sorry, the bug report you filed was incomplete, so the explanation I put in
there was not the right one.

Remy


> StandardWrapper[/mywebapp:mywebapp]: Marking servlet mywebapp as
unavailable
> StandardContext[/mywebapp]: Servlet /mywebapp threw load() exception
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Error instantiating servlet class
MyServlet
> at
>
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:89
> 3)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:808)
> at
>
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:
> 3266)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3395)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1123)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:614)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1123)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:343)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:388)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:506)
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:781)
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
> at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)
> ----- Root Cause -----
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/xml/sax/SAXException
> at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Native Method)
> at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:237)
> at
>
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:88
> 4)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:808)
> at
>
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:
> 3266)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3395)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1123)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:614)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1123)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:343)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:388)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:506)
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:781)
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
> at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)
>
> --
> To unsubscribe:   <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> For additional commands: <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> Troubles with the list: <mailto:tomcat-user-owner@jakarta.apache.org>
>


--
To unsubscribe:   <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands: <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
Troubles with the list: <mailto:tomcat-user-owner@jakarta.apache.org>

--
To unsubscribe:   <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands: <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
Troubles with the list: <mailto:tomcat-user-owner@jakarta.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message