tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas Stiller" <>
Subject General questions about Tomcat<->Apache
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 01:00:55 GMT
After having worked with some other servers I am currently evaluating Apache and Tomcat.
The problem is that I could not find any article or tutorial which gives an general over view
over the relationship between Apache and Tomcat (and jdk).

indicates that Tomcat can be run independently from Apache. But what can I do with Apache
what I can not with Tomcat or vice versa ?

Is Tomcat an add-on or a replacement of Apache ?
If Tomcat has the full functionality of a web server why do I need in addition Apache web

Which version of Tomcat works (is compatible) with which version of Apache ?
Is Tomcat 4.0.2 working with Apache 1.3.23 or only with 2.0.* ?

A link on the page mentioned above promises a description on how to integrate Tomcat into
Apache but on the refererred page I cannot find such a description. How do I do it ?

Does the same Tomcat binary work as a plug-in for Apache and as a stand-alone server or do
I have to download two separate binaries ?

Sorry for these general questions but I found them not answered in the internet.

Thank you

Win a ski trip!

To unsubscribe:   <>
For additional commands: <>