tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas Stiller" <toa...@email.com>
Subject General questions about Tomcat<->Apache
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 01:00:55 GMT
After having worked with some other servers I am currently evaluating Apache and Tomcat.
The problem is that I could not find any article or tutorial which gives an general over view
over the relationship between Apache and Tomcat (and jdk).

E.g http://www.moreservlets.com/Using-Tomcat-4.html#Introduction
indicates that Tomcat can be run independently from Apache. But what can I do with Apache
what I can not with Tomcat or vice versa ?

Is Tomcat an add-on or a replacement of Apache ?
If Tomcat has the full functionality of a web server why do I need in addition Apache web
server?

Which version of Tomcat works (is compatible) with which version of Apache ?
Is Tomcat 4.0.2 working with Apache 1.3.23 or only with 2.0.* ?

A link on the page mentioned above promises a description on how to integrate Tomcat into
Apache but on the refererred page I cannot find such a description. How do I do it ?

Does the same Tomcat binary work as a plug-in for Apache and as a stand-alone server or do
I have to download two separate binaries ?

Sorry for these general questions but I found them not answered in the internet.

Thank you
Thomas