tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject RE: classes visibility in the WEB-INF dir ----> SOLVED
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 18:30:23 GMT

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Sampige, Srinivas wrote:

> Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:04:10 -0800
> From: "Sampige, Srinivas" <>
> To: 'Tomcat Users List' <>
> Subject: RE: classes visibility in the WEB-INF dir ----> SOLVED
> Now more than one person has faced this problem. Please refer to my posting
> titled "Configuring my own servlets on Tomcat4.0". Have the Tomcat
> developers addressed this issue in the documentation?(at least I couldn't
> find I missing something?). This makes developement higly
> unproductive. For you reference this is what I posted earlier(for which I
> got replies) -

Which "this issue" are you speaking of?  If it's the fact that WEB-INF has
to be capitalized, that is documented in the Servlet Specification
(because it is common to all servlet containers, not just Tomcat):

In addition, any book or article or tutorial about building web
applications will certainly mention it.

If "this issue" means that you didn't know you have to match your
directory structure under /WEB-INF/classes to the package hierarchy of
your classes, that is fundamental Java programming -- amply covered in the
many books and tutorials about the language itself.  A good place to start
is <>.

If it's some other issue, then you'll have to tell me what it was before I
can tell you if it's been addressed in the documentation.  I'm afraid that
I cannot read your mind :-).

> --------------------------------
> Hi
>  I downloaded Tomcat4.0 just now and insalled it. I am able to run the
> example servlets. When I try to create my own servlets OR whehn I try to
> deploy and run those web apps that were working on the older version
> (Tomcat3.2) the new servlets don't run. Any clues? I looked at the
> documentation but could not find anything.

Quite frankly, Srinivas, it should not surprise anyone that this problem
report did not get any useful feedback.  After all, does it describe the
error messages that you got?  Or, does it quote stack traces from the log
files?  NOBODY can give much in the way of useful guidance based on the
above paragraph, because there are many thousands of possible reasons for
things going wrong -- 99.9% of them being user error or misunderstanding.

Moral of the story -- if you want help, the best way to get the right
answers quickly is to provide as much information as possible about the
problems you are facing (as *many* people do on TOMCAT-USER):
- Operating system version
- JDK version
- Tomcat version (for example, *which* Tomcat 4.0?)
- Web server version (if relevant)
- Web connector -- mod_jk, mod_webapp, etc. -- version (if relevant)
- Concise description of the problem
- Error messages or stack traces that you received
  in the response page or log files
- What you expected to have happen (you'd be surprised how many
  "bug reports" are really misunderstandings of how servlets work,
  or about what certain configuration settings mean).

> thanks
> -Srinivas

Craig McClanahan

To unsubscribe:   <>