tomcat-users mailing list archives

From jonat...@opencloud.com
Subject Re: mod_jk: Auto reloading workers.properties file.
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:54:03 GMT
On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 04:43:38PM -0500, Matt Egyhazy wrote:
> how does this affect performance?  i think that is the major concern with
> all 'reloading' features.

I'm not sure... :) I only just got it working, so I'm still testing it.

Every time an endpoint to a tomcat is requested I stat the
workers.properties file, if it has changed, the load-balancer
reconfigures itself. The reconfiguration does cause a small delay
response to any incoming requests as mod_jk has to open a new socket to
the desired tomcat.

Put it this way, I think it is quicker to reload the load-balanced
workers than to do a graceful apache restart. It is also cool to edit
the properties file, save it, and watch an immediate change in the
results coming to the script hammering your website... :)

I'm thinking about adding a minimum time between stats on the
workers.properties file. :)

Note: Currently the code only supports reconfiguring workers that are
under a load-balancer.

I guess this functionality is only required if you are frequently changing
the workers.properties file for some reason.

Anyone got any other ideas/requests and more importantly advice?

Jonathan.