tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Craig Altenburg <cra...@mindwrap.com>
Subject Custom Tag Libraries in 4.0.2
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 21:01:40 GMT
I just downloaded the new Tomcat 4.0.2 and I am having trouble getting my web
application to load successfully.  ${TOMCAT}/logs/catalina.out shows the
following lines:

Apache Tomcat/4.0.2
PARSE error at line 1 column 1
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The markup in the document preceding the root
element must be well-formed.
Starting service Tomcat-Apache
Apache Tomcat/4.0.2
PARSE error at line 1 column 1
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The markup in the document preceding the root
element must be well-formed.

Which would seem to indicate that some XML file is bad though the messages
give no clue to which file has the problem.

After trying a few things I found that if I comments taglib definition lines
from my web.xml file the error goes away.

The only XML file that I know of that has something to do with the tag
libraries is META-INF/taglib.tld in my tag library's jar file and I just
don's see any problem with that (it worked prior to 4.0.2).

Here are some snippets (with parens instead of angle brackets).

--- taglib lines from web.xml ---

----8<---
    (taglib)
        (taglib-uri)http://www.optix.com/tld/oas(/taglib-uri)
        (taglib-location)/WEB-INF/lib/OASTagLib.jar(/taglib-location)
    (/taglib)
----8<---

--- top of META-INF/taglib.tld from OASTagLib.jar ---

(?xml version="1.0" ?)

(!DOCTYPE taglib
          PUBLIC
          "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD JSP Tag Library 1.1//EN"
          "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-jsptaglibrary_1_1.dtd")

(taglib)
  (tlibversion)1.0(/tlibversion)
----8<---