tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Switching on UTF-8 Encoding
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2002 04:16:43 GMT

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Antony Stace wrote:

> Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 12:03:35 +0900
> From: Antony Stace <s45652001@yahoo.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>,
>      jeff.guttadauro@abbott.com
> Subject: Re: Switching on UTF-8 Encoding
>
> Thanks Jeff, Timothy, Craig for your replies.
>
> I have a situation where I have a form which is UTF-8 format.  In the servlet(I am acutally
using struts)
> when I am processing a user request I use
>

> name = userForm.getName();  //Struts saves the information from a form in a Bean
> name = new String(name.getBytes(),"UTF-8");
>
> I can then save the name value in a database without problems.
>
> I then use the contents of the Bean to write output in a jsp file but I get garbage.
> Does this mean that the format of the data in the Bean is incorrect?  Should the
> values in this bean be written in a different format?
>
> If it is any use, I printed out the request and response encoding to a log file in the
servlet,

>  request.getCharacterEncoding()  = null
>  response.getCharacterEncoding() = ISO-8859-1

This means that your browser didn't include a character encoding in it's
Content-Type header on the form submission (sadly typical, unfortunately).

If you know that you're running on a Servlet 2.3 environment (like Tomcat
4), you can call request.setCharacterEncoding() *before* calling any of
the getParameter() methods, and Tomcat will do the translation for you.
One approach to this is to use a Filter -- an example filter that does
this sort of thing (SetCharacterEncodingFilter) is included in the
WEB-INF/classes of the example webapp that is shipped with Tomcat 4.

> Cheers
>
> Tony

Craig