tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4: mod_jk filters only serlets and JSPs
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 03:16:29 GMT

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Markus Maeder wrote:

> Date: Tue,  5 Feb 2002 06:36:00 +0100
> From: Markus Maeder <>
> Subject: Tomcat 4: mod_jk filters only serlets and JSPs
> I noticed a difference in handling filters in mod_jk an mod_webapp: mod_jk
> filters only JSPs and servlets. mod_webapp filters everything (thats what I want).
> Which behaviour is conformant to the specification?

There is no specification that covers what a web connector is supposed to
do.  The only thing that is described in the servlet specification, for
example, is a "servlet container".

If you are running Tomcat stand-alone, that's easy -- it's just Tomcat.
If you are running Tomcat+Apache or Tomcat+IIS, the specifications
describe what the *combination* of these components is supposed to do.
How it's divided up internally is not of interest at the spec level.

> Regards
> Markus

To unsubscribe:   <>
For additional commands: <>