tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kirby Vandivort <kvand...@ks.uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: <TC> Tomcat 4, IOExceptions, <error-page>
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 23:12:55 GMT
I brought this up back in early january...

Apache also returns the error response code (to add another to your
list of ones that return the non 200 code...)

I can't figure out how to pull it up doing a 'search' in the archive
either.. but Craig's response is at:

http://mikal.org/interests/java/tomcat/archive/view?mesg=51527

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 05:43:13PM -0600, Christopher K. St. John wrote:

>  Tomcat 4 throws away servlet generated IOExceptions. For
> example:
>
>  public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req,
>                    HttpServletResponse rsp)
>     throws IOException, ServletException
>   {
>     PrintWriter pwrt = rsp.getWriter();
>     pwrt.println("HELLO");
>     throw new IOException("my very own io exception");
>   }
>
>  In Tomcat 4 will produce a 200 OK response with a body
> of "HELLO". Tomcat 3 and Jetty both send back an HTTP
> error response. From my reading of SRV.9.9.2 Jetty and
> 3 are right, 4 is wrong. But...
>
>  Tomcat 4's behavior appears to be on purpose. There
> is a catch(IOException) in StandardWrapperValve.invoke()
> that has the comments:
>
>    ;   // No reporting to the response
>    ;   // No change in availability status
>
>  I thought I had seen a discussion of this before, but
> either I was hallucinating or I'm using the wrong set
> of search terms when I check the list archives (and
> bugzilla and google).
>
>  So, anyway, is this a bug or a feature?
>
> --
> Christopher St. John cks@distributopia.com
> DistribuTopia http://www.distributopia.com
>
> --

Kirby Vandivort                      Theoretical Biophysics Group
Email: kvandivo@ks.uiuc.edu          3051 Beckman Institute
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~kvandivo/    University of Illinois
Phone: (217) 244-5711                405 N. Mathews Ave
Fax  : (217) 244-6078                Urbana, IL  61801, USA