tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: servlet url at init time
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 22:17:54 GMT

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 joseph.vallot@bnpparibas.com wrote:

> Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 17:13:07 +0100
> From: joseph.vallot@bnpparibas.com
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: servlet url at init time
>

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to know the URL of a servlet _in its init method_:
> I need it to know how it is called without having to tell it via a
> config file...
> I know how to get it when dealing with doGet or doPost, but can't
> find any api at init time :(

There is no such API, but see below for part of the answer.

> did I miss something?

Keep in mind that a servlet doesn't have to have "a" URL -- you can map as
many different URL patterns as you like to it.  Therefore, if you *really*
want to know, you can use an XML parser to read the "/WEB-INF/web.xml"
resource and figure them all out.  You can find out your own
<servlet-name> (in servlet 2.3 at least) from the ServletConfig object, so
it's just a matter of looking for all the <url-pattern> values that map to
this name.

This still only tells you the context-relative part of the URL -- the
context path is not visible until a request comes in.

> thanks
> --
> Joseph

Craig