tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Wadkin <j.wad...@hud.ac.uk>
Subject RE: Servlet POST results in 404 error
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 18:25:39 GMT
I'm reasonably confident that the doPost method is defined. The servlet is
currently working fine under JServ at another University.
Re. using Netscape - I can't think of a less pleasant form of torture :)
I'll try it though. I always make a point of turning off friendly HTTP error
messages in IE.
The Apache thing interests me - I'll look into. It didn't occur to me to
check Apache.
I'd give you the URL but I'd have to give passwords and stuff... It goes
like this:

servername/webapp/servletname/stringofnumbers

The log for TomCat shows a valid URL - i.e. I can't see anything wrong with
the URL. Worryingly, if (after I get the 404) I type a / after the string of
numbers and press "Enter", the contents of the post (inc. passwords) appear
in the browser as a 501 error!
The rest of the servlet works fine - it's just the post method for some
reason.

I think it might be relevant to say that the servlet was written and
installed in the mid-nineties. Nothing major has been done to it since... My
Uni has agreed to "test" if the servlet will work on a more modern platform,
amongst other things. I've only just started working with servlets so I'm
not aware of the historical context - e.g. major changes between JServ and
Apache, changes in the Java and/or Servlet spec's.

Thanks,

John