tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Wadkin <j.wad...@hud.ac.uk>
Subject RE: tomcat 4 + apache 1.3 + WarpConnection
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:14:58 GMT
I find it interesting that you make a distinction between a server with DNS
entries and without - i.e. one is a host, the other's not. I've never
thought of it that way. I'm not sure if TC/Apache makes this distinction...
I know that (in Apache) ServerName can be set to an IP address. When my
server was first setup, it didn't have DNS entries so I used an IP address
in the defaultHost and <host> :) Worked fine. Another spanner in the
"understanding the documentation" works :)

Yes - it would be nice to here the definitive answer!

Thanks,

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Millson [mailto:mgm@atsga.com]
Sent: 13 February 2002 14:07
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: tomcat 4 + apache 1.3 + WarpConnection

I don't have a defaultHost attribute in my Engine tag, and Tomcat 4.0.1
seems to be working fine. I'm finding the same challenges w/ the
documentation that you are - stumbling along. I'm guessing that what they
meant to say is the following:

Neither the Engine defaultHost property nor the Host container are required
to access Tomcat via an IP address. If you wish to access Tomcat via a host
name, you will have to specify one or more Host containers. If the Engine
specifies a defaultHost, there must be a Host container whose name property
matches the Engine's defaultHost property. If one or more Host containers
are specified, the Engine defaultHost property must be defined, and it must
match the name property of one of the Host containers.

But, I'm just guessing and would appreciate any further clarification on
this.

Mike