tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Kost <s.k...@webmacher.de>
Subject tomcat 4.01 with jboss 2.4.4 and a webapplication using xalan/xerces
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2002 10:45:28 GMT
hi hi,

Even after reading the docs (
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html)
and mailing list archive (
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&r=1&w=2)
I am still stuck with the following problem:
We are currently using jboss-2.4.4 with tomcat-3.2.3 and I am trying to
upgrade to tomcat 4.0.1 as we need its newer jsp features. Our
application is using jsp together with a custom xsl-tag-library based on
xalan/xerces. JBoss itself is using xerces as its xml-parser (for
configs) in our setup. I plugged it in using JAXP.
Now when I am trying to access any jsp which is using the xsl-taglibrary
(which uses xalan/xerces) under tomcat 4.0.1 I get:
-------------- snip ---------------
type Exception report

message Internal Server Error

description The server encountered an internal error (Internal Server
Error) that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init() for servlet jsp threw
exception
root cause

java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl
	at
javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance(DocumentBuilderFactory.java:103)
-------------- snip ---------------

I guess the issue is somehow related to the fact that jboss is not
starting tomcat separately but using it as an own service and thus
tomcat inherits the classpath. The classpath in turn contains
../lib/xml-apis.jar:../lib/xerces.jar:../lib/xalan.jar

I've read about the issuses with xerces and tried to copy the xerces.jar
included with tomcat 4.0.1 (size 1808883 bytes) over all location of
mine; still it happens.

Now I am running out of ideas.

Stefan
--