tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rich Hansen" <rshans...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: HELP on server.xml PLEASE
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 22:58:07 GMT

Now to access your files go to: http://<server>:<port>/home/something.jsp or
html.

Hope this helps!
----- Original Message -----
From: "Micael Padraig Og mac Grene" <caraunltd@harbornet.com>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 4:13 PM
Subject: HELP on server.xml PLEASE

> My forte is Java and at the XML configuration of Tomcat I suck.  Could
> someone please help me with this?  It would be greatly appreciated.
>
> If I add the following to servlet.xml, then I get the startup.sh to create
> the proper directories under TOMCAT_HOME/work/.  But, then I cannot reach
> my site with the urls.  If I don't add these, then I can reach the site,
> but without the create of the appropriate subfolders.  What is up?
>

> <Context path="/ourforge"
> docBase="webapps/ourforge"
> debug="0"
> reloadable="true">
> </Context>
> <Context path="/micael"
> docBase="webapps/micael"
> debug="0"
> reloadable="true" >
> </Context>
> <Context path="/db"
> docBase="webapps/db"
> debug="0"
> reloadable="true" >
> </Context>
> <Context path="/ctr"
> docBase="webapps/ctr"
> debug="0"
> reloadable="true" >
> </Context>
>
> <!-- Example Server Configuration File -->
> <!-- Note that component elements are nested corresponding to their
>       parent-child relationships with each other -->
>
> <!-- A "Server" is a singleton element that represents the entire JVM,
>       which may contain one or more "Service" instances.  The Server
>       listens for a shutdown command on the indicated port.
>
>       Note:  A "Server" is not itself a "Container", so you may not
>       define subcomponents such as "Valves" or "Loggers" at this level.
>   -->
>
> <Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN" debug="0">
>

>    <!-- A "Service" is a collection of one or more "Connectors" that share
>         a single "Container" (and therefore the web applications visible
>         within that Container).  Normally, that Container is an "Engine",
>         but this is not required.
>
>         Note:  A "Service" is not itself a "Container", so you may not
>         define subcomponents such as "Valves" or "Loggers" at this level.
>     -->
>
>    <!-- Define the Tomcat Stand-Alone Service -->
>    <Service name="Tomcat-Standalone">
>
>      <!-- A "Connector" represents an endpoint by which requests are
received
>           and responses are returned.  Each Connector passes requests on
to the
>           associated "Container" (normally an Engine) for processing.
>
>           By default, a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector is established on port
8080.
>           You can also enable an SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 by
>           following the instructions below and uncommenting the second
> Connector
>           entry.  SSL support requires the following steps (see the SSL
Config
>           HOWTO in the Tomcat 4.0 documentation bundle for more detailed
>           instructions):
>           * Download and install JSSE 1.0.2 or later, and put the JAR
files
>             into "$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext".
>           * Execute:
>               %JAVA_HOME%\bin\keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA
> (Windows)
>               $JAVA_HOME/bin/keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA
(Unix)
>             with a password value of "changeit" for both the certificate
and
>             the keystore itself.
>
>           By default, DNS lookups are enabled when a web application calls
>           request.getRemoteHost().  This can have an adverse impact on
>           performance, so you can disable it by setting the
>           "enableLookups" attribute to "false".  When DNS lookups are
disabled,
>           request.getRemoteHost() will return the String version of the
>           IP address of the remote client.
>      -->
>
>      <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080 -->
>      <Connector
className="org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector"
>     port="8080" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
>        enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
>                 acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="60000"/>
>      <!-- Note : To disable connection timeouts, set connectionTimeout
value
>       to -1 -->
>
>      <!-- Define an SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 -->
>      <!--
>      <Connector
className="org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector"
>                 port="8443" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
>                 enableLookups="true"
>        acceptCount="10" debug="0" scheme="https" secure="true">
>        <Factory className="org.apache.catalina.net.SSLServerSocketFactory"
>                 clientAuth="false" protocol="TLS"/>
>      </Connector>
>      -->
>
>      <!-- Define an AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009 -->
>      <!--
>      <Connector className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Connector"
>                 port="8009" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
>                 acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>
>      -->
>
>      <!-- Define a Proxied HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8081 -->
>      <!-- See proxy documentation for more information about using
this. -->
>      <!--
>      <Connector
className="org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector"
>                 port="8081" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
>                 enableLookups="true"
>                 acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="60000"
>                 proxyPort="80"/>
>      -->
>
>      <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.0 Test Connector on port 8082 -->
>      <!--
>      <Connector
className="org.apache.catalina.connector.http10.HttpConnector"
>                 port="8082" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
>                 enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
>                 acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>
>      -->
>
>      <!-- An Engine represents the entry point (within Catalina) that
processes
>           every request.  The Engine implementation for Tomcat stand alone
>           analyzes the HTTP headers included with the request, and passes
them
>           on to the appropriate Host (virtual host). -->
>
>      <!-- Define the top level container in our container hierarchy -->
>      <Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">
>
>        <!-- The request dumper valve dumps useful debugging information
about
>             the request headers and cookies that were received, and the
> response
>             headers and cookies that were sent, for all requests received
by
>             this instance of Tomcat.  If you care only about requests to a
>             particular virtual host, or a particular application, nest
this
>             element inside the corresponding <Host> or <Context> entry
instead.

>             For a similar mechanism that is portable to all Servlet 2.3
>             containers, check out the "RequestDumperFilter" Filter in the
>             example application (the source for this filter may be found
in
>             "$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/filters").
>
>             Request dumping is disabled by default.  Uncomment the
following
>             element to enable it. -->
>        <!--
>        <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RequestDumperValve"/>
>        -->
>
>        <!-- Global logger unless overridden at lower levels -->
>        <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
>                prefix="catalina_log." suffix=".txt"
>                timestamp="true"/>
>
>        <!-- Because this Realm is here, an instance will be shared
globally -->

>        <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm" />
>
>        <!-- Replace the above Realm with one of the following to get a
Realm
>             stored in a database and accessed via JDBC -->
>
>        <!--
>        <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
>               driverName="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"

connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/authority?user=test;password=test"
>                userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name"
> userCredCol="user_pass"
>            userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />
>        -->
>
>        <!--
>        <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
>               driverName="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"

connectionURL="jdbc:oracle:thin:@ntserver:1521:ORCL?user=scott;password=tige
r"
>                userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name"
> userCredCol="user_pass"
>            userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />
>        -->
>
>        <!--
>        <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
>               driverName="sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"
>            connectionURL="jdbc:odbc:CATALINA"
>                userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name"
> userCredCol="user_pass"
>            userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />
>        -->
>
>        <!-- Define the default virtual host -->
>        <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
unpackWARs="true">

>          <!-- Normally, users must authenticate themselves to each web app
>               individually.  Uncomment the following entry if you would
like
>               a user to be authenticated the first time they encounter a
>               resource protected by a security constraint, and then have
that
>               user identity maintained across *all* web applications
contained
>               in this virtual host. -->
>          <!--
>          <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn"
>                     debug="0"/>
>          -->
>
>          <!-- Access log processes all requests for this virtual host.  By
>               default, log files are created in the "logs" directory
> relative to
>               $CATALINA_HOME.  If you wish, you can specify a different
>               directory with the "directory" attribute.  Specify either a
> relative
>               (to $CATALINA_HOME) or absolute path to the desired
directory.
>          -->
>          <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
>                   directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_access_log."
> suffix=".txt"
>                   pattern="common"/>
>
>          <!-- Logger shared by all Contexts related to this virtual host.
By
>               default (when using FileLogger), log files are created in
the
> "logs"
>               directory relative to $CATALINA_HOME.  If you wish, you can
> specify
>               a different directory with the "directory"
> attribute.  Specify either a
>               relative (to $CATALINA_HOME) or absolute path to the desired
>               directory.-->
>          <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
>                   directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_log." suffix=".txt"
>         timestamp="true"/>
>
>          <!-- Define properties for each web application.  This is only
needed
>               if you want to set non-default properties, or have web
> application
>               document roots in places other than the virtual host's
appBase
>               directory.  -->
>
>          <!-- Tomcat Root Context -->
>          <!--
>            <Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0"/>
>          -->
>
>          <!-- Tomcat Manager Context -->
>          <Context path="/manager" docBase="manager"
>           debug="0" privileged="true"/>
>
>          <!-- Tomcat Examples Context -->
>          <Context path="/examples" docBase="examples" debug="0"
>                   reloadable="true">
>            <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
>                       prefix="localhost_examples_log." suffix=".txt"
>            timestamp="true"/>
>            <Ejb   name="ejb/EmplRecord" type="Entity"
>                   home="com.wombat.empl.EmployeeRecordHome"
>                 remote="com.wombat.empl.EmployeeRecord"/>
>            <!-- PersistentManager: Uncomment the section below to test
> Persistent
>        Sessions.
>
>                 saveOnRestart: If true, all active sessions will be saved
>                   to the Store when Catalina is shutdown, regardless of
>                   other settings. All Sessions found in the Store will be
>                   loaded on startup. Sessions past their expiration are
>                   ignored in both cases.
>                 maxActiveSessions: If 0 or greater, having too many active
>                   sessions will result in some being swapped out.
minIdleSwap
>                   limits this. -1 means unlimited sessions are allowed.
>                   0 means sessions will almost always be swapped out after
>                   use - this will be noticeably slow for your users.
>                 minIdleSwap: Sessions must be idle for at least this long
>                   (in seconds) before they will be swapped out due to
>                 maxActiveSessions. This avoids thrashing when the site is
>                   highly active. -1 or 0 means there is no minimum -
sessions
>                   can be swapped out at any time.
>                 maxIdleSwap: Sessions will be swapped out if idle for this
>                   long (in seconds). If minIdleSwap is higher, then it
will
>                   override this. This isn't exact: it is checked
periodically.
>                   -1 means sessions won't be swapped out for this reason,
>                   although they may be swapped out for maxActiveSessions.
>                   If set to >= 0, guarantees that all sessions found in
the
>                   Store will be loaded on startup.
>                 maxIdleBackup: Sessions will be backed up (saved to the
Store,
>                   but left in active memory) if idle for this long (in
> seconds),
>                   and all sessions found in the Store will be loaded on
> startup.
>                   If set to -1 sessions will not be backed up, 0 means
they
>                   should be backed up shortly after being used.
>
>                 To clear sessions from the Store, set maxActiveSessions,
> maxIdleSwap,
>                 and minIdleBackup all to -1, saveOnRestart to false, then
> restart
>                 Catalina.
>            -->
>   <!--
>            <Manager
className="org.apache.catalina.session.PersistentManager"
>                debug="0"
>                saveOnRestart="true"
>                maxActiveSessions="-1"
>                minIdleSwap="-1"
>                maxIdleSwap="-1"
>                maxIdleBackup="-1">
>                  <Store
className="org.apache.catalina.session.FileStore"/>
>            </Manager>
>   -->
>            <Environment name="maxExemptions" type="java.lang.Integer"
>                        value="15"/>
>            <Parameter name="context.param.name"
value="context.param.value"
>                       override="false"/>
>            <Resource name="jdbc/EmployeeAppDb" auth="SERVLET"
>                      type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
>            <ResourceParams name="jdbc/EmployeeAppDb">
>            </ResourceParams>
>            <Resource name="mail/Session" auth="Container"
>                      type="javax.mail.Session"/>
>            <ResourceParams name="mail/Session">
>              <parameter>
>                <name>mail.smtp.host</name>
>                <value>localhost</value>
>              </parameter>
>            </ResourceParams>
>          </Context>
>
>        </Host>
>
> <!-- -->
> <!-- -->
> <!-- -->
> <!-- -->
>
>      <Host name="www.programming-languages.org" appBase="webapps/ourforge"
>
>     <Context path=""
>     docBase="webapps/ourforge" />
>      </Host>
>      <Host name="www.programming-languages.net" appBase="webapps/db" >
>     <Context path=""
>     docBase="webapps/db" />
>      </Host>
>      <Host name="www.programming-languages.com" appBase="webapps/ctr" >
>     <Context path=""
>     docBase="webapps/ctr" />
>      </Host>
>      <Host name="www.micaelmacgrene.com" appBase="webapps/micael" >
>     <Context path=""
>     docBase="webapps/micael" />
>      </Host>
>
> <!-- -->
> <!-- -->
> <!-- -->
> <!-- -->
> <!-- -->
>
>      </Engine>
>
>    </Service>
>
>    <!-- The MOD_WEBAPP connector is used to connect Apache 1.3 with Tomcat
4.0
>         as its servlet container. Please read the README.txt file coming
with
>         the WebApp Module distribution on how to build it.
>         (Or check out the "jakarta-tomcat-connectors/webapp" CVS
repository)

>         To configure the Apache side, you must ensure that you have the
>         "ServerName" and "Port" directives defined in "httpd.conf".  Then,
>         lines like these to the bottom of your "httpd.conf" file:
>
>           LoadModule webapp_module libexec/mod_webapp.so
>           WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
>           WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples/
>
>         The next time you restart Apache (after restarting Tomcat, if
needed)
>         the connection will be established, and all applications you make
>         visible via "WebAppDeploy" directives can be accessed through
Apache.
>    -->
>
>    <!-- Define an Apache-Connector Service -->
>    <Service name="Tomcat-Apache">
>
>      <Connector
className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"