tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Simon" <maillist-gene...@sohowit.com>
Subject Java servlet and mailing
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:31:07 GMT
Dear,

I come from PHP world, so that i don't really know about this.

If i need to sent out an email in my serlvet program, do i need to download
and install javamail?
(I did a mail() in PHP, which calls /bin/mail indeed, most likely...)

According to this FAQ saying:
http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/FAQ.html#1

Q: What is the JavaMailTM API?
A: The JavaMailTM API is a set of abstract APIs that model a mail system.
The API provides a platform independent and protocol independent framework
to build Java technology based email client applications. The JavaMail API
provides facilities for reading and sending email. Service providers
implement particular protocols. Several service providers are included with
the JavaMail API package; others are available separately. The JavaMail API
is implemented as a Java optional package that can be used on JDK 1.1.6 and
later. The JavaMail API is also a required part of the JavaTM 2 Platform,
Enterprise Edition (J2EETM).

Do I have J2SE, i don't have JavaMail right?
So, the easy way out, is to install J2EE in the first place, rather than
J2SE?

I don't this sounds stupid, but please help.

Many thanks!

Simon.