tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robin Lee" <tech_supp...@uls.com>
Subject Re: integer value
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 19:25:26 GMT
I assume that these fields are coming from a form from a previous page (ie:
html/jsp)...  And that you are submitting this information to a servlet, or
another jsp page.

One thing you are missing when testing for null is that, when coming from a
both ...

if (number == null || number.equals(""))
OR
if (name == null || name.equals(""))

But because it is strictly a number, you need to convert the "number" field
to a pure integer # to test for a number.
int iNewNumber = Integer.parseInt(number);

Doing it this way allows you to make sure you don't have a null # because
Integer.parseInt will convert a "" string to a 0.

The code that has "number = 000000"; cannot happen because it is assumed
number is a String, and you can't convert int to String.

I hope this helps... You can email me directly if you need more help with
this.

...Robin