tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Joel Rees" <>
Subject Re: A simple query
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:53:52 GMT
Webapp, "webapps", "WEB-INF", WARs, it all gets _so_ confusing.

(What has happened to my brain? 8-<)

----- Original Message -----
Jan S√łgaard corrected:

If you mean, whether you are able to place the Servlet, (I don't know
about jsp, but I guess it is the same)
code outside the webapps directory, the answer is YES.

In your server.xml file, you are able to specify the docbase of your

<Context path="/yourURL" docBase="c:/Code/myapp" debug="0"
reloadable="true" />

In this way you can place the directories, located under the webapps, in
other places.

BR Jan

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Rees []
Sent: 22. februar 2002 10:00
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: A simple query

----- Original Message -----
Vishal Mukherjee queried:

> Is it mecessary to keep the physical folder under the webapps

If you mean to ask whether you must keep the folder containing the jsp
java source files inside the webapps directory, I think the answer is

** "inside a webapp directory," (Which is not the "webapps" directory.) **

But don't give up.

You can make your own webapps directories, which do not need to be kept

** "make your own webapp directories," **

the tomcat directory. The way you do this depends on your version of
(and follow the "Deployment Organization" link)

V. 3.2 uses <Context/> entries in the conf/server.xml file, which I only
figured out recently.

V. 3.3 allows using the <Context/> entry in apps-appPath.xml files in

I haven't messed with v. 4, so I don't know yet.

To unsubscribe:   <>
For additional commands: <>
Troubles with the list: <>

View raw message